Monday, May 14, 2012

I am the True Vine



I am the vine and you are the branches, a divine calling to bear fruit for Christ and to serve his kingdom, John 15:16. He says “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” How blessed are we to be called the Chosen Ones!

Jesus calls everyone to abide in his love and bear fruit. Now the question we are asking is; are we really clinging to Jesus to bear fruit for him. If you read the whole chapter, Jesus sends a friend request to everyone (like Jesus was the one who started social networking).  He invites everyone to be his friend, to start a new relationship, a new covenant. He made a new law, a new commandment. It is a simplified version of the Ten Commandments. John 15 : 12-13, “this is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you, no one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

He calls us friends! He freed us from slavery by sacrificing himself on the cross. The only cost for us to avail his sacrifice is to remain in his love and to follow his commandments. To follow this one commandment means that you will fulfill all the other nine commandments. Simple as that! Loving others as Jesus loved me is the greatest challenge I have in my life. Do I really die to myself when someone accuses me and I retaliate? Am I really abiding in his love? Do I reflect his love to my fellow brothers and sisters? Think about it!

This term, vine is used in most part of the Old Testament. Vine represents the People of God or People of Israel. Jesus says “I am the true Vine”. He reveals that he is the new Israel. He is the Light and He is the True Vine. Ah! I should not forget about the pruning part. That’s more important here. Abba father is the Gardener and his work is to prune us to bear the best fruit. Now this pruning can be in different forms. It is physical, mental and financial. The more your pruned the more you will bear fruit. Most of time we, religious say to ourselves I go for everyday mass, I am living a good sacramental life, but when we face any difficulty in life we start to question God- why am I going through this? 

I remember putting this question to my spiritual friends. Does God test our faith? Most of them said- no, he doesn’t. I wasn’t convinced but term 'test' itself is incorrect. It is pruning. If you’re abiding in Christ love, you will be pruned to bear fruit. Sometimes pruning is painful, but it is fruitful. I remember this scripture, Matt 16:24, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me”. Therefore, “Take up your cross and follow Me” means being willing to die in order to follow Jesus. This is called “dying to self”. It’s a call to absolute surrender. Each time Jesus commanded cross bearing, he said, “for whoever wants to save his life, will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” (Luke 9:24-25).

Although the call is tough, the reward is priceless. Let us abide his love and bear much fruit for his Glory. And don’t forget to the accept the friendship request from Jesus (your true friend (vine))



4 comments: