Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Confession : Soul Washer



Confession, as most Christians knows, it’s one of the 7 sacraments.



It is the only other sacrament which we receive through-out our life. This shows the importance of the sacrament and its need for every Christian to walk with Christ. But do we really make use of this divine healing service. How many of us go for confession just for the sake of doing it? Do we really understand the true healing presence of the Lord during confession?

Let me start with myself first. The priest says that we have to prepare ourselves for Christmas or Easter and I have known myself to rush to church at the last minute to vomit whatever comes to mind... Do you really think I felt bad about my sins? It was just another ritual for me.

Personally, I thank God for making me to understand and appreciate the grace I receive during confession. I want to write what confession does to us and how important it is. Confession it’s not just about confessing your sins, it is also a healing sacrament. During confession, your soul is washed with the power of the Holy Spirit and made whiter than snow. I am comparing it with snow because I will say it is the purest form of white. I am inspired to explain what happens during confession in lay man terms. Let’s compare our soul with a pure white shirt. I wear this nice white shirt while going out and expose it to the dust, sun and sweat. Its gets dirty, of course. But what if I am to wear the same dirty shirt the next day and the day after for long time. It will start to stink, may be the white shirt will no longer look like a white one. I will start to reek because of the filthy shirt. The shirt desperately needs a wash. I will then have it washed thoroughly making sure it gets back its former color- white. This is what happens during confession.

I have never witnessed my own baptism but I have seen baptisms were the baby is nicely dressed in a white dress, and the priest blesses the baby and wipes his head with a white cloth symbolizing that his original sin is washed away. Now, as one grows older, the soul gets exposed to all kinds of worldly things, dirtying it. Its needs a regular wash to be made whiter than snow and the washing happens during the sacrament of confession.  So let’s be regular in using this divine opportunity to wash our souls, to wash it whiter than snow and to continue seeking the Kingdom of God. Amen…












2 comments: